Monday, May 18, 2009

Review of Yelp.com

I've decided to review Yelp. Even though I was only on that community site for about three weeks before being banned, I was still able to experience what that community was about.

I'm going to review different elements of the Yelp site by using their own grading system: stars! Mine is going ot be a little different though. Each star has a different meaning.

* * * * * (5stars, better than a handjob)
* * * * (4stars, pretty goddamn good)
* * * (3stars, just fine and dandy)
** (2stars, almost gay)
* (1star, gay)

Okay now with the rating system explained, here are the elements of Yelp I'm going to review: usability, rating system, community chat topics, the members, staff and overall feel.

Usability: *****
Rating system: ***
Community chat topics: **
The male members: ***
The female members: ****
Staff: ****
Overall: ****

The best thing about Yelp is their content and usability of the review system. Yelp has done a great job in making their user interface easy enough that even the stupidest mac users can write reviews and express their opinions. The review system is a bit flawed though due to some people using it as a place to vent rather than write proper reviews. I've noticed some reviews on there are just outright bitter. People using it to attack the restaurant/establishment instead of writing something useful so the general public can get a good idea about the place.

I gave the community chat topics two stars out of five because the topics being discussed couldn't be any more sterile. Most of the topics consisted of "do black women like mexican men", "do asian women like black men" and "do the lakers like my dick". Talk about boring shit. I tried to spice things up by acting like a racist homophobe.

Just because I made a few remarks about women, blacks, Mexicans, homosexuals, liberals, Jews, vegeterians, feminists, enviromentalists, abolitionists, communists, fat people, ugly people, poor people, the handicapped and retards doesn't make me a bad guy.

Showing intolerance towards an intolerant person only makes the person who is trying to defend tolerance an intolerant person themselves. I've noticed most of the intolerance came from the men: which brings me to the next topic.

Quite a few men on Yelp are pretty easily butt hurt. I had a few psychotic people message me with crazy messages accusing me of all kinds of shit. A few of them even tried to get people to band up against me. It was pretty easy getting underneath their skin though. The women on the other hand were pretty tough. I had this crazy bitch message me practically wanting to fight me. I don't know, maybe it's a liberal San Francisco thing. Who knows.

The staff on Yelp seemed pretty lenient. It took three warnings about my retaurant reviews for me to get my account banned. If I were a Yelp staff member and didn't have a sense of humor, I probably would have banned me the first time I said something negative about homosexual vegeterian Mexicans. Although my account is now closed, I don't regret having visited the community.

Overall I would say Yelp is a pretty good service for people to read and write reviews about places they have visited. Some of the reviews are actually good and helpful. Such good helpful reviews are always fair in their judgement and detailed in their explanations.

I think one thing that could improve Yelp would be to make people submit their height and weight. This way if someone gave a restaurant a negative review and said the servings were too small people can just ignore it and think, "oh she's just fat, her opinion don't matter".

No comments:

Post a Comment